From Edgewater Collective:
If you have lived in Edgewater more than ten years, you remember Edgewater Days. Edgewater Days was a well known, multi-day festival that celebrated the Edgewater community complete with a parade and many other different events. It began in the 1960s and ran through the mid-2000s. In 1987, Westword ranked Edgewater Days as the “Best Big-city, Small Town Festival.”
We believe it is time to bring back a community festival that showcases the great businesses, history, schools, organizations and other community assets in Edgewater. The Edgewater Community Festival will be held Friday, May 12 through Sunday morning, May 14, 2017 and many of the activities will take place in Citizen’s Park. We are currently putting together the Special Event Application for this event and will submit it to the City of Edgewater for approval once these event elements are firm.
Here are some of the elements that we hope will be part of this multi-generational festival:
- Edgewater’s Got Talent: Community talent show on Friday night at Jefferson Jr/Sr High School
- Edgewater 5k: 5k on Saturday morning with a fun run, bike parade and pet parade before the race
- Festival Events at Citizen’s Park: From 11 am-9 pm on Saturday there will be fun events to draw in all generations around Citizen’s Park. Within Citizen’s Park there will be different “zones” that will be organized by topic/interest area.
- Food trucks
- Bake sale
- School and PTA booths
- History/Art/Gardening Zone
- Kids Zone
- Edgewater Business Zone
- Bands at the park stage
- Car show at 20th and Depew
- Beer Olympics on the softball field
- Pancake Breakfast: Sunday morning pancake breakfast at the American Legion as a fundraiser for the Jefferson Booster Club
- Community Yoga: Sunday morning yoga and exercise demos at Memorial Park led by Edgewater businesses
On Monday, November 7 at 7 pm, interested community members are encouraged to attend a planning meeting to start planning this community festival. The planning meeting will be held at the Edgewater Collective office (5220 W. 25th Avenue).